How to LAT (House Inside Start) Part 2

Continuing off from the last tutorial,
we will be working on the inside of Farmer Jacobs' house.

First, I would like to state, this is my own personal preference, 
but I hate, hate, HATE houses that don't look like their outside.

Do you all like to enter a small tree type house and walk into a 20 level mansion? 
I don't, nor do I like to enter into a rectangle house only to find out its really a circle.

So I try to keep my house insides as close as possible to the outsides.






Note: I add outside scenery, you don't have to.

So, again we start with a blank smexy grass plain.
I made mine pitch black because that's how the 
outside of the house should look.

Made the whole level Black.

Added test walls.
 I started by marking where the house will be built.
Please note, I did not do a small tile sheet for the inside 
because there are so many choices it would not benefit you.

Added walls and link placers.
 With me having no offline editor, or online gold account for RC,
I had to mark locations I wanted level links to be.
Note: I used the blue walls because I wanted a challege.
It would be more beneficial to use the brick walls in your house. 
Those blue ones are hard to match up with anything.

Added Room 2 view.
 Again, personal preference, I like my rooms to show
bits and pieces of where they are about to enter, but this 
is not needed to have a 3D looking house.

Created a small FLOOR tile sheet.
Don't get this confused with the inside tilesheet I did not make,
this is for the floor only, and can be useful in picking out colors 
that and showing you some different flooring and possibilities.

You may be thinking, David K? You crazy, 
you can't use door pieces as floor tiles! 

Yes, I am crazy, and yes you can use them. :]

Some floor patterns.
Simple 'nice looking' repeating patterns.

I show you the module patterns on the right side. 
You can create many different ones of your own too!

Added some of the pattern and made some new patterns.
 Farmer Joseph is a simple man, he likes his red and blues.
His floor does not compliment the walls too much, but he does not care.

His table is up against the wall and so is his chair. 
This gives the assumption the table is one tile high.

Added a door spot.
 Unsure at first how  was going to do the left door,
and you will notice many servers don't have left and right doors,
I tried to add a little door spot... didn't like it.

Farmer Jerry ate his spinach on this one.
I forgot to take pictures after certain things... 
I added custom made windows I thought were suitable,
a stair place you will see on his third inside level, and 
I even gave Farmer Jerry his own kitchen.

You may be wondering why I have not created a bathroom.. 
This farmer prefers the good old fashioned outhouse! 
"Most people never create bathrooms, and you would
need to make your own GFX for a nice one" 

I can do this but, most new players cannot. 
So I am sticking to the old tile-set.

ALSO, again, personal preference, I made the scenery outside
so it looks similar to the real outside with a transition to the black.

You do not have to do it, but I believe it looks much nicer.

Final Picture

Fixed a few things.

I had to fix the wall on the left that I missed, it was 2 tiles
and the bottom is three tiles, and I also made the windows a tile or two bigger.

A friend said the bar was not accessible, but it was realistically correct,
however to make him happy I moved it up two tiles.
I also realized most stairways don't have an entrance par se,
so I made it an opening in a wall..


Helpful Tips:

Don't create large levels for  houses, unless its suppose to be a party area. 
If it is a party area, and is not near OSL 'online start local' 
(A.K.A. usually unstuck/unstick me spot)
it most likely will not be used much.

Try to make it look like the house outside,
this is optional but makes it look much better.

Also optional, don't show doors on the sides, and mainly on the bottom facing up.
This looks horrible and kills the 3D perspective. From "Birds Eye View" straight up
above a building, you cannot see both the top and bottom wall.. 
Unless the walls are slanted outwards, it is nearly impossible.

Use brick or wood walls, they are much easier to work with in the long run.


One floor pattern can be nice, but sometimes only one can be boring. 
You really shouldn't use more then two-three floor patterns in a room.

I used one tile as the top of the room, but it usually looks nicer if you can use two.


Be creative, but make it look good.




No comments: